WILHELM LEHMBRUCK (1881–1919)
Retrospective 
Sculptures, paintings, drawings, lithographs and photographs 
from the Lehmbruck Museum in Duisburg and from the artist’s estate
from 11 September to 10 November 2013

 

The exhibition of the work of Wilhelm Lehmbruck, one of the most important sculptors, painters and graphic artists of the German Classical Modern, has been conceived as a retrospective. After almost three decades both professionals and the general public in the Czech Republic can now see the work of this artist for the second time, but for the first time in Brno which is closely linked to his sculptural work through the world famous Tugendhat House. At the exhibition in the Brno House of Arts Lehmbruck’s work is represented not only by a representative selection of sculpture from the period 1898–1918 including all the principal sculptures, but also by paintings, drawings, etchings and lithographs from the period 1904–1918.

Wilhelm Lehmbruck (4.1.1881 Meiderich near Duisburg – 25.3.1919 Berlin) graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Düsseldorf (1901–1905) and from 1910 to 1914 lived and worked in Paris where he was acquainted with the works of Archipenko, Brancusi, Derain, Maillol, and Modigliani. Here he produced expressive, abstracted sculptures with extremely elongated limbs and a melancholy expression, among them the renowned Kneeling Woman (1911), which became one of the symbols of Expressionism. In 1914 Lehmbruck went to Berlin and, at the end of 1916, to Zurich. In Berlin in March 1919, filled with depression and emotional discord, he chose a voluntary death.

Thanks to the generous assistance of the artist’s descendants and especially the Lehmbruck Museum in Duisburg, which since 2010 has possessed the most comprehensive collection of Lehmbruck’s work, the sculptor’s artistic development has been impressively documented from a period of Neo-Classicism, through searching for his own means of expression, to the position of the leading representative of Expressionism. Lehmbruck’s sculptures appeared several times in connection with the work of the architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. The sculptor’s son Manfred Lehmbruck (1913–1992) trained under Mies and is the author of the Lehmbruck Museum project in Duisburg, built from 1959 to 1964.

One of Lehmbruck’s key sculptural works, ‘Torso Turning (Torso of a Walking Woman)’ from 1913-1914 could once be found in Brno. In the 1930s it was the only work of art conceived as an element of the interior of Greta and Fritz Tugendhat’s house. After some post-war adventures the sculpture found its way into the collections of the Moravian Gallery from where, in November 2006, it was handed over to the heirs of the house’s original owners. An identical sculpture is to be shown at the Brno exhibition in context with the Tugendhat House as its irreplaceable artistic attribute.

 

Organisers: Brno House of Arts, Brno City Museum, Tugendhat House Endowment Fund

The exhibition is held under the auspices of Roman Onderka, Mayor of the City of Brno, Detlef Lingemann, the German Ambassador to the Czech Republic, and Rudolf Jindrák, the Czech Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany.

The Brno House of Arts, Malinovského nám. 2, 602 00 Brno 
Open from Wednesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

A  catalogue (in German) has been published to accompany the exhibition, as well as a separate publication about the sculpture from the Tugendhat House (in Czech, German and English).

You can download the poster here.

 

DIE AUSSTELLUNG DES WERKES VON WILHELM LEHMBRUCK IN BRÜNN

WILHELM LEHMBRUCK (1881–1919)
Retrospektive 
Skulpturen, Gemälde, Zeichnungen, Radierungen, Lithografien und Fotografien 
aus dem LehmbruckMuseum Duisburg und aus dem Nachlass
11. 9. – 10. 11. 2013 


Die Ausstellung des Werkes von Wilhelm Lehmbruck, einem der bedeutendsten Bildhauer, Maler und Grafiker der deutschen klassischen Moderne, ist als Retrospektive konzipiert. Nach fast drei Jahrzehnten kann sowohl unser Fachpublikum als auch eine breite Öffentlichkeit zum zweiten Mal dem Werk dieses Künstlers in Tschechien begegnen. Zum ersten Mal aber in Brünn, das mit Lehmbrucks bildhauerischem Werk vor allem dank der weltberühmten Villa Tugendhat verbunden ist. Lehmbrucks Kunst ist in der Ausstellung im Haus der Kunst der Stadt Brünn nicht nur durch eine repräsentative Auswahl der Skulpturen aus den Jahren 1898–1918 inklusive aller Hauptwerke seines bildhauerischen Schaffens, sondern auch durch Gemälde, Zeichnungen, Radierungen und Lithografien aus den Jahren 1904–1918 vertreten. 

Wilhelm Lehmbruck (4. 1. 1881 in Meiderich bei Duisburg – 25. 3. 1919 in Berlin) absolvierte die Kunstakademie in Düsseldorf (1901–1905) und von 1910 bis 1914 lebte und arbeitete er in Paris, wo er die Bekanntschaft mit den Werken von Archipenko, Brancusi, Derain, Maillol und Modigliani machte. Dort entstanden die expressiven, abstrahierenden Bildwerke mit extrem gelängten Gliedmaßen und melancholischem Ausdruck. Unter ihnen auch die berühmte „Kniende“ (1911), die zu einem Symbol des Expressionismus wurde. 1914 ging Lehmbruck nach Berlin und Ende 1916 nach Zürich. Von Depressionen und Gefühlsdisharmonien geplagt, wählte er im März 1919 in Berlin den Freitod. 

Dank der großzügigen Unterstützung der Nachkommen, vor allem jedoch des LehmbruckMuseums in Duisburg, das seit 2010 die umfangreichste Sammlung von Lehmbrucks Werk besitzt, ist die künstlerische Entwicklung des Bildhauers von der Periode des Neoklassizismus über die Suche nach eigenen Ausdrucksmitteln bis hin zu seiner Stellung als einer der bildhauerischen Hauptrepräsentanten des Expressionismus eindrucksvoll dokumentiert. Lehmbrucks Skulpturen tauchten mehrfach im Zusammenhang mit dem Werk des Architekten Ludwig Mies van der Rohe auf, bei dem der Sohn des Bildhauers, Manfred Lehmbruck (1913–1992) studiert hatte, von dem auch die Pläne des in den Jahren 1959-1964 in Duisburg erbauten LehmbruckMuseums entworfen wurden.

In Brünn befand sich eines der bildhauerischen Hauptwerke von Wilhelm Lehmbruck, der „Torso der Schreitenden (Mädchentorso sich umwendend)“ von 1913–1914. Als einziges Kunstwerk wurde es in den 30er Jahren des 20. Jahrhunderts als Bestandteil des Interieurs der Villa der Eheleute Grete und Fritz Tugendhat konzipiert. Während der Kriegswirren kam die Statue in die Sammlung der Mährischen Galerie in Brünn, von dort wurde sie im November 2006 den Erben der Erbauer der Villa übergeben. In der Brünner Ausstellung soll eine identische Skulptur im Kontext der Villa Tugendhat als ihr unverwechselbares künstlerisches Attribut präsentiert werden.


Veranstalter: Haus der Kunst der Stadt Brünn, Museum der Stadt Brünn, Stiftungsfond der Villa Tugendhat 

Die Ausstellung findet unter der Schirmherrschaft von Roman Onderka, Bürgermeister der Stadt Brünn, Detlef Lingemann, Botschafter der Bundesrepublik Deutschland in CR, und Rudolf Jindrák, Botschafter der Tschechischen Republik in BRD, statt. 

Haus der Kunst der Stadt Brünn, Malinovského nám. 2, 602 00 Brünn 
Geöffnet: Mittwoch – Sonntag von 10 bis 18 Uhr

Zur Ausstellung wird ein Katalog (Deutsch) und eine eigene Publikation zur Skulptur aus der Villa Tugendhat herausgegeben (Tschechisch, Deutsch, Englisch).