Lemke House

font size A A default


The Nazis destroyed a monument to Karl Liebknecht and Rosa Luxemburg at the cemetery in Berlin-Friedrichsfelde in 1933 which had been realized according to a design by Mies in 1926 (K. Liebknecht, born in 1871, was the co-founder of the Communist Party of Germany and R. Luxemburg, born 1870, was a renowned figure of the European Socialist and Communist movement: both were murdered for their convictions on 15th of January 1915). … Lemke House (1932-33) … project of the Reichsbank in Berlin (1933).


Simultaneous events

1933 Demise of the Bauhaus


Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was the final director of the Bauhaus from 1930-33. It had been moved from Dessau to Berlin in 1932 and was disbanded a year later. read more


1933 League for Human Rights


Grete Tugendhat began to work for the League for Human Rights organisation which provided financing and practical assistance for political refugees from Germany after the ascension to power of Adolf Hitler... read more


1933 Son Herbert


The Tugendhat have a second son Herbert on 24th of February 1933. read more


1933 Hitler's Fascism


Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) came to power in Germany and was named Chancellor by the German President Hindenburg on 30th of January 1933. A year earlier Hitler's NSDAP had taken key positions in the German... read more