The Brno City Museum was founded in 1904. On 1st of December 1962, the department, currently workplace, of the history of architecture and city planning was established. The founder and long-term sole employee was the historian Iloš Crhonek. It became the second Czechoslovak museum institution, after the Technical Museum in Prague, to have systematically, now for almost half a century, built up a collection focused on Modern architecture and interiors. The current collection in the Brno City Museum ranks among the most significant in Europe for this time period.