The Exhibition of Contemporary Culture, which became a manifesto of the first successful decade of the existence of the independent country, took place in Brno from May to September 1928. The exhibition of science, education and art as well as technical, economic and additional branches of human activity was presented at the newly built exhibition grounds in Pisárky, the city planning and architecture of which rank among the highlights of European building culture of the 20th century. New trends in housing were presented in the Nový dům (New House) colony in the Žabovřesky neighbourhood as part of the framework of detached exhibitions. Financially affordable individual housing was demonstrated with sixteen houses designed almost exclusively by Brno architects.
Double houses had been built three years earlier, specifically in Černá Pole, created according to a design by Jan Vaněk, Jaroslav Grunt and Stanislav Kučera and inspired by Loos' construction system of “a house with one wall”. These were meant to become prototypes for inexpensive city houses with the possibility of serial production.